Saturday, October 31, 2009

Scams

Ok, I’m not going to be a nasty person and point out individuals who have done this on Etsy. I am not going to get specific in my rant at all, no, I’m not like that. I will merely present to you a case in which the names have been changed to protect the innocent. =)

SellerOfVintage enters the chatroom “Trade for Xmas gifts”
SellerOfVintage: Hello!
SellerofJewelry: Hi SellerOfVintage!
SellerofSupplies: Greetings SellerOfVintage!
SellerofUnknown whispers I love this http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27684495 want 2 trade?
(Seller of Vintage investigates SellerofUnknowns shop and finds 4 listings, one is a broken piece of luggage in “good” vintage condition. The Second is an old moldy carebear in “good” vintage condition. Third is an 80s avon perfume bottle filled with pink water, and the fourth is a badly sewing plushy of a kawaii monkey with 2 heads.)
/msg SellerofUnknown Sorry, I need to buy a new kidney with my shop proceeds, thanks though!

If this happened to me once, I would understand. It happens to me ALL THE TIME.

Why are people listing this crap?

I've come to these conclusions:
1. Etsy sellers are generally soft hearted types who don't want to be the bearer of bad news, namely: Your shop sucks and you have no talent. So we are manipulated into trading an item for another item we truly don't want or need.
2. People do this just to get the items, I doubt they purposely expect to sell the crap they put in their shops, they do it for the trades.

I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk or nasty, but this has been bugging me for awhile now. This is not to say that I believe its a frequent or rampant problem on etsy...But I have yet to encounter someone interested in trading that is an actual seller of nice stuff!?